Video: Suspect with knife charges officers before fatal OIS

  • By We Heart Leos News
  • comments : 0 comments

Nicholas Rondinone
Hartford Courant

ANSONIA, Conn. — State police Monday released body camera footage of a police shooting in Ansonia that led to the death of a man in a home last week on Myrtle Avenue.

The state police investigation into the shooting is in its early stages, officials said. The office of the chief medical examiner said Monday that the victim, 30-year-old Michael Gregory, died from a gunshot wound of the trunk that perforated a lung and has classified the death a homicide.

Danbury State’s Attorney Stephen J. Sedensky was assigned to review whether the officers acted lawfully. He has called in state police Western District Major Crime Squad detectives to investigate the shooting.

“This footage is just one part of the on-going investigation. Detectives from the Western District Major Crime Squad will continue to investigate this incident. Once their investigation is completed, detectives will submit their findings to the Danbury State’s Attorney’s Office for review,” state police said.

Ansonia police said Friday they went to a home on Myrtle Avenue Thursday night after a woman reported to police that her boyfriend was there despite a protective order barring him from visiting the home.

When the three officers arrived, they forced their way into the home and were confronted by the man, later identified as Gregory, who was brandishing a knife, police Chief Andrew Cota said.

The officers attempted to de-escalate the situation, but Gregory retreated further into the home, Cota said. They then ordered he drop the knife, but he refused. The officers shot Gregory with a TASER, but it had no effect, according to Cota.

“The male then ran toward officers with the knife in hand. Officers made every attempt to create distance between themselves and the unwanted male subject,” Cota said.

Cota said one of the officers fired at least one shot from his gun, hitting Gregory. State police identified the officers as Sgt. Christopher Flynn, Officer Brendon Nelson and Officer Wojciech Podgorski. They did not say which officer fired their weapon.

Gregory was taken to Griffin Hospital, where he later died, officials said.

At the time of his death, Gregory was awaiting sentencing in a domestic incident in November 2019 in which, police said, a judge issued the protective order keeping him from the home on Myrtle Avenue. He was charged with criminal mischief and disorderly conduct and was free on a written promise to appear.

The conditions of his release were that he submit to mental health and substance abuse evaluation and treatment and that he obey his protective order.